It's so hard this time of year to resist the commercialism that comes with celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior. I try HARD but usually have little success.
I've been watching my pennies a lot lately - mostly watching them splurge on something that I don't need and then regret having later.
Why do we allow ourselves to be so consumed with stuff? I don't even feel like it's a matter of having or not having the money to spend but more about needing or not needing what we think - no Believe - we must have.
Some acquire things for status reasons - to appear like they are successful. Others buy things to fill a void - lonely in a relationship, overweight, bored. I tend to buy things I think are going to make me happy, as if my life is so unhappy to begin with. But once I buy, somehow I'm still not satisfied. In fact, I often find myself wanting more.
So, in the age of acquiring things to meet some need, I'm fighting back! It's a moment to moment battle but I'm pressing on. I want my legacy to be one of eternal treasures and not a storage unit full of junk my family must sift through. God is telling me in this season to resist buying things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know. I borrow this phrase from Pastor Craig Groeschel who God has used to help financially guide misguided people like me.
How are you fighting back?
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment